Kids get cavities easily because they have a hard time cleaning their own teeth, and they eat a lot of sugar. If you’re concerned that your child may have a cavity, then it’s important to bring them to see the dentist in Beaver Dam and Owensboro, KY. Knowing the signs it’s a cavity can help you decide whether your child needs an appointment.
Signs of a Cavity
Only a dentist can tell you for sure if your child has a cavity. However, you may notice some tell-tale signs of a cavity. Below are some symptoms to watch for:
- Sudden sensitivity to heat and cold temperatures
- Pain when eating things that are sweet
- Toothache that comes and goes
- Pain when biting down on something
- Brown or black discolorations
- A visible hole in the tooth
If your child has been complaining about tooth sensitivity or a toothache, you can take a look inside their mouth to see if you notice anything amiss. Even if you don’t see a problem, you should still bring your child to the dentist if they’re experiencing tooth discomfort.
Ways to Avoid Cavities
Cavities are uncomfortable! Fortunately, you can help your child avoid cavities. Some tips:
- Brush your child’s teeth for them until they turn 7 or 8 years old
- If your child brushes their own teeth, make sure they’re doing it twice daily
- Bring your child to the dentist twice per year (or as often as the dentist recommends)
Noticing Signs of a Problem? Call Today to Make An Appointment
If you’re concerned that your child may have a cavity, contact Dr. Travis Wilson Family Dentistry to make an appointment for a dental checkup in Beaver Dam and Owensboro, KY. Our courteous staff can help your child maintain good dental health.