My Mercury Filling Fell Out: What Now?

Mercury was used almost exclusively for decades in tooth fillings. Dental professionals now know how toxic mercury is and it is rarely—if ever—used in fillings. There are so many more effective and safer alternatives that it doesn’t make sense to use mercury. If you have an undamaged tooth filling with mercury, most experts agree that you shouldn’t do anything. It’s the mercury vapors that are dangerous, and those vapors are only released when the mercury is cracked or disturbed, such as when the mercury filling is removed. But what if your mercury filling falls out?

Contact Your Dentist Right Away

If your mercury filling has come out, contact your Owensboro, KY dentist right away. No matter what condition the filling is in, or the tooth, you’ll need immediate treatment.

Store the Filling

If you know where the mercury filling is, store it securely in a sealed plastic bag. Don’t finger it or lay it on any surface in your home. You don’t want to accidentally spread any toxicity from the mercury.

Care For Your Tooth

If your tooth is painful or sensitive after the loss of the filling, use your judgment for self-care until you can get into your Beaver Dam, KY dentist for tooth restoration. Consider taking an over-the-counter pain reliever in combination with an over-the-counter numbing agent. These types of numbing agents are very effective and can keep you comfortable until you’re able to see the dentist.

Avoid Chewing on the Tooth

In the meantime, avoid chewing on the tooth with the lost filling. You have no way of knowing how much mercury is still in the tooth cavity, whether vapors are being released or how food debris may further damage the tooth.

Above all, don’t panic. Once you visit your Beaver Dam, KY dentist, they will be able to assess the situation and offer a safe treatment.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *