Many children have a hard time brushing their teeth properly. Working with the dentist in Owensboro and Beaver Dam, KY, can help because your dentist can give you and your child advice on how to maintain your child’s oral health. In addition, these tips can help you catch an oral hygiene problem before it becomes bad. Here’s what you need to know.
Signs Your Child Isn’t Brushing Their Teeth Well
If your child isn’t brushing their teeth well, you may notice one or more of the following problems:
- Your child has cavities or tartar buildup on their teeth when they visit the dentist
- Your child has bad breath that doesn’t go away when they brush their teeth
- Your child has discolorations or black spots on their teeth
- Your child doesn’t brush their teeth for two minutes each time
- Your child doesn’t consistently brush their teeth twice daily
What To Do If Your Child Needs Toothbrushing Help
Many parents choose to brush their child’s teeth for them until they turn about 7 or 8 years old. Until they are 7 or 8, many children lack the coordination to brush their teeth well anyway.
If your child is old enough to brush their teeth but still isn’t doing a great job, watch them and give them tips while they’re brushing. Time your child with a timer or have them listen to a song that’s 2 minutes long while they brush to ensure that they’re brushing for the recommended length of time.
When To Bring Your Child to the Dentist
Unless the dentist recommends otherwise, bring your child to the dentist every six months for a routine cleaning, just like you do for yourself. Make an appointment for preventative care in Owensboro and Beaver Dam, KY. Call Dr. Travis Wilson Family Dentistry today to schedule your child’s next dental visit.