Have you cracked a tooth? Then you need to see your dentist in Owensboro, KY! A cracked tooth can be managed, but you’ll need to see the dentist as soon as possible. Knowing the signs of a cracked tooth and what your dentist can do if you have a cracked tooth can help you. Here’s what you need to know.
Signs of a Cracked Tooth
Sometimes it’s hard to tell when you have a cracked tooth, because you may not be able to see the crack. Some common symptoms for people who have cracked teeth include:
- Infrequent pain in the tooth
- Pain that appears suddenly while chewing, but goes away quickly
- Swelling around the tooth
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
What Your Dentist Can Do
If you have a cracked tooth, there are many procedures your dentist may use to treat your tooth. The first thing that your dental professional will do is diagnose the problem. Once this is done, your dental professional may use any one of the following methods to treat your tooth:
- Crown installation – a dental crown is a cap placed over the tooth to protect the fragile tooth enamel beneath.
- Veneer installation – a dental veneer is a cover placed over the front of the tooth.
- Root canal – if the tooth has become infected, your dentist may clean out the infection with a root canal, and then will cover the tooth with a crown.
Contact Your Dental Professional As Soon As Possible
A cracked tooth can be a serious problem, and if it isn’t treated right away, it’s likely to get worse. If you have a cracked tooth and believe you may need dental crowns in Owensboro, KY, call your dentist at Dr. Travis Family Dentistry today.