A dental veneer is an extremely thin, shell-like covering that is custom-tailored to fit an individual’s tooth. Using dental veneers, Dr. Travis Wilson can improve his patients’ smiles.
Enhancing a Patient’s Teeth with Dental Veneers
A dental veneer can consist of porcelain or composite resin.
Veneers are ideal for changing the size, shape, color and length of the teeth.
When veneers are used near a patient’s natural teeth, Dr. Wilson chooses a shade of veneer that closely matches the color of the remaining teeth.
What is the Difference Between Resin and Porcelain Veneers?
Resin and porcelain are the materials that are most frequently used to create dental veneers.
Veneers Consisting of Porcelain
Since porcelain veneers reflect light, they look more like natural teeth than those made of resin do. This light-reflecting characteristic typically makes porcelain veneers the most desirable material for tooth enhancement. In addition, studies show that veneers made of porcelain offer patients more durability than those consisting of composite resin.
When compared to resin veneers, the veneers made of porcelain are better at resisting stains. Furthermore, these veneers offer the patient a long-lasting solution with many patients enjoying their porcelain veneers for up to 20 years.
One drawback to porcelain veneers is that the process takes longer than is necessary when resin veneers are used. The entire porcelain veneer process usually requires at least two weeks, possibly three. However, while the patient waits for his or her custom-designed porcelain veneers to arrive at the office, the patient wears temporary tooth coverings.
Veneers Consisting of Composite Resin
Veneers that consist of resin are constructed using the same materials as those used while bonding or filling a tooth. Composite resin has tiny particles of a hard filler in it. Since these particles are extremely small, the resin should remain soft and pliable, thus, making it easier for Dr. Wilson to shape and mold the veneer.
Cosmetic Issues That Dental Veneers Are Used to Fix
Dental veneers offer individuals an easy, long-lasting solution for improving their smile.
Veneers are commonly used to address:
- Tooth discoloration – may be caused by root canal therapy, excessive fluoride use, stains resulting from certain medications (e.g., tetracycline, etc.) or visible resin fillings.
- Worn down teeth – this issue frequently occurs when an individual has bruxism (i.e., teeth-grinding while asleep) or has a habit of clenching his or her jaw.
- Misaligned, irregularly shaped or uneven teeth – these issues can easily be addressed with dental veneers.
- Gapped teeth – Dr. Wilson can use veneers to close the spaces between the teeth.
- Broken or chipped teeth – since veneers cover the front of the tooth, chips and broken teeth are hidden behind the veneer.
If you reside in the Beaver Dam or Owensboro, Kentucky, area and you are interested in improving your smile with dental veneers, contact one of Dr. Travis Wilson’s offices today. Dr. Wilson’s Owensboro, Kentucky, phone number is 270-926-6040 and the phone number for his Beaver Dam, Kentucky, office is 270-274-3645.