3 Things You Can Do to Avoid Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease can be devastating to your smile. Gum disease can cause gum recession and eventually tooth loss. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to prevent periodontal disease in Owensboro and Beaver Dam KY. Below, we’ve outlined some of the things you can do to maintain good oral health.
1. Maintain Good Oral Hygiene At Home
Good oral health starts with good oral hygiene at home. There are many things you can do to keep your teeth clean, with less bacteria. Some examples:
- Brush your teeth twice daily. Brush your teeth once in the morning and once at night before bed, following the instructions provided to you by your dentist.
- Floss once per day. Floss every night before bed, again following flossing instructions provided to you by your dentist.
- Switch to an electric toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes use an oscillating motion to get the teeth especially clean. Most models also come with a timer to ensure you brush your teeth for long enough.
2. See the Dentist Twice Per Year
Unless yourdentist in Owensboro and Beaver Dam KY tells you otherwise, you should go in to see the dentist twice per year. Your dentist can examine your teeth, clean away plaque and tartar, and diagnose any conditions in their early stages.
3. Know the Signs of Periodontal Disease
Know the signs of periodontal disease, and see your dentist if you notice any of them. Signs include:
- Bleeding, swollen gums
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away with brushing your teeth
- Loose or missing permanent teeth
- Receding gums
Are you noticing the signs of gum disease? Get help from a dental professional. At Dr. Travis Wilson Family Dentistry, we diagnose and treat periodontal disease. Call today to make an appointment.