Gum disease is a serious condition. Left untreated, gum disease can cause loss of your permanent teeth, bad breath, and significant discomfort. If you believe that you might have gum disease, it’s important to get a diagnosis and treatment from yourdentist in Owensboro and Beaver Dam, KY, as soon as possible. At Dr. Travis Wilson Family Dentistry, we help patients manage and overcome their gum disease. Here’s what you need to know.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues around the teeth. Gum disease is caused by an excess of bacteria in the mouth and usually occurs due to poor oral hygiene habits.
What Are the Signs of Gum Disease?
If you have gum disease, you may notice a variety of symptoms including:
- Puffy, red, bleeding gums
- Bad breath that won’t go away even when you brush your teeth
- Loose teeth
- Pain in the gums
- Gum recession
How Can You Treat Gum Disease?
If you believe that you have gum disease, the most important thing you can do is see your dentist for a diagnosis and treatment. At Dr. Travis Wilson Family Dentistry, we offergum disease treatment in Beaver Dam and Owensboro, KY. The method we’ll use to treat your gum disease depends on the severity.
Each patient will have their own treatment plan.
- Scaling. Scaling helps remove bacteria from the teeth below the gum line.
- Root planing. Root planing smooths the teeth below the gum line to prevent bacteria from sticking to the roots of the teeth in the future.
- Antibiotics. Your dentist may prescribe antibiotics to help eliminate the bacteria from your mouth and control your gum disease.
Do You Think You Might Have Gum Disease? Call Today
Gum disease is a serious problem. Call today to make an appointment for gum disease treatment.